Enviroscapes Northwest specializes in both new construction and retrofit greenroof solutions for residential, commercial, institutional or other types of properties. We have experience with all types of greenroof systems including field planted, pre-grown vegetated mats, and modular systems, so whatever the appropriate greenroof solution for a project may be, Enviroscapes Northwest is able to install and maintain it competently and professionally.
Because of their environmental benefits a variety of public incentives exist to promote greenroof installation, and further incentives are under consideration. Enviroscapes Northwest will identify which subsidies your project is a candidate for, and at no additional charge will lead the effort to secure whatever funding is available for our clients.
Key Greenroof Benefits
Extends roof life – A greenroof provides an average of 4″ to 6″ of protective cover to rooftop waterproofing, shielding it from UV radiation and exposure to the elements. Protecting the waterproof membrane with a greenroof enables the roof to last at least twice as long as a conventional roof, saving replacement costs and reducing building cost of ownership.
Stormwater management and watershed health – A greenroof captures and evaporates from 10% to 100% of the precipitation that falls on it. Stormwater that is shed from a greenroof is greatly reduced in volume and speed, as well as cooled and improved in chemical quality. These combined benefits minimize the property’s contribution to the public stormwater infrastructure, while protecting and improving river and watershed health.
Additional Benefits of Greenroofs and Living Walls
For the Building Owner
- Enhances insulation, lowers cooling costs 10% to 50%.
- Reduces HVAC equipment size requirements.
- Provides natural rooftop fire retardancy.
- Lowers stormwater fees and sewerage costs.
- Improves aesthetics and increases tenant satisfaction, raising property value.
For the General Public
- Reduces urban “heat island” effect during summer, lowering ambient air temperature.
- Generates oxygen and improves urban air quality.
- Sequesters carbon by means of photosynthesis.
- Creates urban wildlife habitat and greenspace.